B/W Tokens Lorwyn, Innistrad, M11

Dedicated to ATXMTG Build Your Own Standard play. BYOS is constructed format in which players choose two blocks and a core set, then brew!

B/W Tokens Lorwyn, Innistrad, M11

Postby Phillie1236 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:47 pm

So I played at the BYOS at wonko's this weekend and thought I would write a report on the deck and the decks I played against. I hate writing these kinds of things so if you see anything please do write in the comments what I could improve.

The Decklist is:

[deck]Land (24)
4x Fetid Heath
4x Isolated Chapel
5x Plains
6x Swamp
2x Vault of the Archangel
3x Windbrisk Heights

Planeswalker (6)
2x Liliana of the Veil
4x Sorin, Lord of Innistrad

Sorcery (19)
3x Duress
4x Gather the Townsfolk
4x Lingering Souls
4x Spectral Procession
4x Thoughtseize

Enchantment (8)
4x Bitterblossom
4x Intangible Virtue

Instant (3)
3x Doom Blade

Sideboard:
2x Celestial Purge
2x Leyline of the Void
1x Doom Blade
1x Duress
3x Fulminator Mage
3x Leyline of Sanctity
1x Liliana of the Veil
2x Oblivion Ring[/deck]

There's the deck, a pretty standard black white tokens list. Moving onto the matchups:

Round 1: Monoblack with zombies (2-0)
Game 1: Opponent got land flooded, then the token beats,
Game 2: Also a lot of flooding but sandbagging a drown in sorrow cost him the game after I duressed it out.

Round 2: Black Blue Fairies (2-0)
Game 1: Opponent got land flooded, token beats,
Game 2: Got an early cloud of faeries and a spell sputter sprite. Just couldn't pull it out after I played a bitterblossom.

Round 3: Black Blue Fairies (2-0)
Game 1: Pretty grindy match, eventually bitterblossom won the game at 3 life.
Game 2: Relatively same story grinding until Sorin and Lilliana just out valued a lot of this plays. Then token beats,

Round 4: Blue White Delver (2-0)
Game 1: Early hand disruption into a couple resolved tokens cards,
Game 2: Relative same story, early hand disruption a bitter blossom and Sorin got through.

Not sure as to the power level of the deck since rounds 2-4 were pretty favored for me. Fairies and delver can't really deal with a lot of tokens in a nice tempo fashion, and invariably if one card gets through it's game over. Round 1 he just didn't draw any of his outs (there were like 13 after board) that would have hosed all the tokens. So I feel like dodged a bullet there.
Last thought, I was able to keep relatively slow hands against fairies and delver bc I know they won't kill me super fast. I could play a hand of two Spectral Processions and a Sorin and get there because of the value that Spectral has.

P.S. Any thoughts on intangible virtue going back into the banned list for the format?
Last edited by eldashgato on Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added deck tags.
Phillie1236

Re: B/W Tokens Lorwyn, Innistrad, M11

Postby eldashgato » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:58 am

Ironically, the fact that Intangible Virtue would have appeared on the original ban list was one of the reasons we didn't mind dropping the block-specific bans. It seemed a bit silly in a format where people can combo-kill on turns 2 and 3. I also don't think including block-specific bans would have made a huge difference in this case, to be honest. You could have just played Honor of the Pure to similar effect, which is in M11.

All in all, this was a super solid deck. Congrats again on going 4-0 (and 8-0 in games!) with it.
eldashgato
Site Admin

Return to ATXMTG "Build Your Own Standard" League and Tourneys