BYOS Worldgorger Combo - 5th Edition, Ice Age, Odyssey

Dedicated to ATXMTG Build Your Own Standard play. BYOS is constructed format in which players choose two blocks and a core set, then brew!

BYOS Worldgorger Combo - 5th Edition, Ice Age, Odyssey

Postby eldashgato » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:44 am

After prolonged discussion and community feedback, Woodrow and I set a date for our first BYOS event. We wound up firing with 11 players at Wonko's on Friday (Feb. 21). After sending out signals that I would be bringing some sort of monoblack devotion list, I surprised everyone with Worldgorger combo instead! Here's the list I ran:

Worldgorger Combo - 5th Edition, Ice Age block, Odyssey block

[deck]1 Ambassador Laquatus
4 Animate Dead
4 Brainstorm
2 Buried Alive
1 Cabal Ritual
4 Careful Study
4 Cunning Wish
4 Dark Ritual
2 Diabolic Tutor
4 Entomb
4 Necromancy
4 Worldgorger Dragon
3 Bad River
4 Island
1 Mountain
4 Sulfurous Springs
6 Swamp
4 Underground River[/deck]

Sideboard

[deck]1 Boomerang
1 Coffin Purge
4 Divert
1 Envelop
1 Ghastly Demise
3 Gloom
1 Power Sink
1 Skeletal Scrying
1 Tainted Pact
1 Volcanic Geyser[/deck]

The deck works, of course, by reanimating a Worldgorger with either Animate Dead or Necromancy. When the dragon enters the battlefield, it exiles the reanimation enchantment and all of your other permanents, including your lands. When the trigger resolves, the reanimation enchantment is exiled, which kills the dragon, returning everything to the battlefield (including the enchantment, which can target Worldgorger again). This creates a loop in which you float mana from your newly untapped lands as they blink in and out of exile. Once you generate a zillion mana, you can either cast Cunning Wish for a Volcanic Geyser, or let the reanimation enchantment target Ambassador Laquatus, then mill your opponent out. The deck relies on instant speed wincons, which makes deck building a challenge.

For this event, I settled on Mirage block instead of Ice Age block (which would give me Dance of the Dead over Necromancy) so that I would have an instant speed kill spell in Volcanic Geyser. More on this later.

With 11 players, we had 4 rounds.

Round 1 vs. Alex (Jund)

I'm first paired against Alex Z., playing Jund based on Alara block, original Ravnica block, and M11. I forget the exact game breakdown, but he wins handily with the aid of Jund goodies such as Blightning, Bloodbraid Elf, Sprouting Thrinax, and Duress. I think he beat me 2-1-1, with me getting a win and forcing a draw. I could have gotten this match if I hadn't misplayed. Oh well. It turns out that Terminate hitting my Worldgorger with its exile trigger on the stack is brutal.

He wound up going 3-1 with this list.

Round 2 vs. Melissa (Eldrazi)

For the second round, I'm paired against Melissa on Eldrazi based on Battle for Zendikar block, original Zendikar block, and 5th Edition, which gives her deck access to Winter Orb - totally gross when you consider that Eye of Ugin doesn't even need to tap for mana. Winter Orb isn't stellar against fast combo decks that run Dark Ritual, though. I wound up forcing a draw and winning in two games to go 2-0-1, I believe.

Round 3 vs. Matt H. (UW Delver)

My friend Matt is playing UW Delver with Innistrad block, Ice Age block, and M12. UW Delver was one of the best standard decks ever, and the inclusion of Ice Age for Counterspell, Force of Will, and Swords to Plowshares is nothing to sneeze at. I get him in game 1, decline to force a draw in game 2, and he wipes me out quickly in games 2 and 3.

Round 4 vs. David (Turbo Fog)

My last round opponent is David, who is playing Turbo Fog based on Tempest block, Mirrodin block, and M10, from what I remember. Tempest gives him cards like Wasteland, Counterspell, and Respite, Mirrodin block gives him Isochron Scepter, Chalice of the Void, and Crucible of Worlds, and M10 gives him Fog, Negate, and Jace Beleren, which it turns out is his main win condition. This was an interesting matchup, because I had to figure out how to deal with Isochron Scepter while being unable to cast 1-drops through Chalice. I got game 1 easily, but in game 2 I had to come up with a line of play that let me cast double Animate Dead, Cabal Ritual, and Necromancy on the same turn against his hand full of counters.

All in all, the deck was sweet. If I were to play it again, I would probably cut Mirage block for Ice Age block, because although it's great that Necromancy can be cast as if it had flash, I don't think the deck really needs Volcanic Geyser as a Cunning Wish target. In fact, I'm not sure the Cunning Wish package is all that necessary. If Ice Age block replaces Mirage block, the deck could be streamlined by adding Forces, cutting Cunning Wishes, and adding more fast mana. (Ice Age block presents some interesting opportunities for doing so.) The deck also needs another Ambassador Laquatus, and both Diabolic Tutor and Buried Alive underperformed.
eldashgato
Site Admin

Re: BYOS Worldgorger Combo - 5th Edition, Ice Age, Odyssey

Postby americanomuerto » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:31 pm

Sweet to see you ended up building this deck. I thought it was just a thought experiment, then you end up going and building it.
americanomuerto

Postby eldashgato » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:29 pm

Yeah, the more I thought about it, the better it sounded. I punted a round with it, because the deck is actually fairly hard to pilot well (as most weird combo decks are), but it has a lot of potential.

I'd encourage you to brew something up. You'd probably get a kick out of this format.
eldashgato
Site Admin

Postby americanomuerto » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:28 pm

It does sound fun for sure. I am keeping my head in the edh and vintage formats and will need to study the next limited format so it may be a while before I test this out.
americanomuerto

Return to ATXMTG "Build Your Own Standard" League and Tourneys