Bugging out @ GP Vegas (25th place)

Share and discuss Legacy decks, strategies, etc.

Bugging out @ GP Vegas (25th place)

Postby oinksterthepig » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:08 am

Hey guys I'm going to breakdown how I settled on my deck/list and do a brief recap of the legacy GP. So I came to this exact list after hours of careful testing, metagame analysis and theorycraft with my playtest group. . . HAHAHAHA I can't say that with a straight face. I'm a miracles player and my deck got the axe so I jammed a few local events with elves and sneak and show.

Elves was not as good as it once was due to fatal push allowing decks to remove it's guys while keeping up in tempo and leovold annoying shut down your value grindy plan against fair decks. No visionary/symbiote loops or glimpse value. To top it off elves still had sketchy matchups against other non creature combo decks like storm and sneak and show.

Sneak and show was pretty good and went WAY over the top of a lot of decks ignoring them completely. On the flipside the games could be annoyingly bimodal with minimal chance to "outplay" your opponent. I did like my sneak and show list as it was very streamlined and the SB package of blood moon, defense grid, kozilek's return, and grim lavamancer all seemed pretty good.

Ok back to old reliable delver. I tried grixis at GP louisville and found it a bit underpowered. Young peezy only performed if my opponent was literally doing nothing (so anything would have worked) and i lost more games to wasteland than i won. I had a final 9 - 6 record with the deck. My friend suggested this list ostensibly from new zealand platinum pro jason chung.

[deck]4 wasteland
4 polluted delta
4 misty rainforest
1 verdant catacombs
4 underground sea
2 bayou
1 tropical island
4 deathrite shaman
4 delver of secrets
4 tarmogoyf
1 Tombstalker
4 brainstorm
4 ponder
4 force of will
4 daze
3 abrupt decay
2 fatal push
4 hymn to tourach
2 liliana of the veil

2 Golgari Charm
1 flusterstorm
1 invasive surgery
1 Painful Truths
1 Abrupt Decay
2 thoughtseize
2 surgical extraction
1 grafdigger's cage
1 Vendilion Clique
2 fatal push
1 Null Rod[/deck]

I jammed a few events and there was a lot to like. Playing 20 lands felt great. hymn was a good way to great "free wins" especially against storm and sneak attack. I did have some problems. All my threats used the graveyard so rest in peace destroyed me, as did mirran crusader. I didn't have enough blue cards for force of will and none of my removal dealt with gurmag angler very well. Most annoying of all one of my dark maverick opponents just sided in 4 fatal push, 4 abrupt decay, and 4 plow against me and i never untapped with any creatures. If only there were some threat that was immune to removal, didn't use the graveyard, and was also a blue card. . . If only. . .

thinking.jpg
thinking.jpg (5.03 KiB) Viewed 462 times

Oh yeah how bout true-name nemesis! It was a little worse against combo, but at least it pitched to force and it was the trump against fair decks i was looking for.
final list
[deck]4 wasteland
4 polluted delta
4 misty rainforest
1 verdant catacombs
4 underground sea
2 bayou
1 tropical island
4 deathrite shaman
4 delver of secrets
3 tarmogoyf
2 true-name nemesis
4 brainstorm
4 ponder
4 force of will
4 daze
3 abrupt decay
2 fatal push
4 hymn to tourach
2 liliana of the veil

2 marsh casualties
1 flusterstorm
1 invasive surgery
1 jace, the mind sculptor
1 life from the loam
2 thoughtseize
2 surgical extraction
1 grafdigger's cage
1 true-name nemesis
2 fatal push
1 umezawa's jitte[/deck]

Null rod only seemed super important against death and taxes and with true name i felt i had enough trumps against them so it got cut. Golgari charm killed our own true names so it got replaces with marsh casualties. Life from the loam was a hedge against other wasteland decks since i felt favored if i could actually cast my spells (it ended up being so-so). I played jace over painful truths because i wanted a non creature win con and it's legacy so might as well play jace. The umezawa's jitte was a last minute addition with the convo going something like this.

me: should i play this jitte? is that what the format is even about?
webb: well it is quite the combo with true name nemesis. . .
me: i like free wins so GET IN THA DECK!

ok here is my personal meta game breakdown
bye 2 - 0
bant deathblade 3 - 0
sneak and show 1 - 1
death and taxes 2 - 0 (one with ancient tomb one regular)
grixis delver 3 - 2
grixis strix control 1 - 0

As you can see i played against the all fair deck meta game. The SB jitte singlehandedly won me three matches. My losses against grixis delver went one of two ways. Gurmag angler + force of will for may answer. Or the classic delver strategy of play a quick guy and daze/wasteland everything to keep me off balance. The matchup seems fine I lost a lot of die rolls but my cards were so powerful (hymn/goyf) that if i got to resolve them they put me right back in the drivers seat. That's what i like most about this deck was even if i lost the die roll i could still assert control of the game, something i had a lot of trouble doing with grixis delver. the other thing i liked was that your two drops were so powerful that chalice of the void wasn;t just lights out like grixis or izzet delver The card hymn coughed up a bunch of free wins just like we drew it up.

My loss to sneak and show came round 14 and was a real heartbreaker. We both mulled and i kept a hand with one land double hymn. Alas turn 6 rolled around and i still hadn't found land number two and he combo'd me with ease.

Both my death and taxes matches were three games sets with true name nemesis showing up to seal the deal.

Bant deathblade player all got punked by the daze versus hymn trap. You either wait to play your spells to beat daze in which case they get stripped by hymn or you rush them out to get ahead of hymn only for the to be countered for free. One of my bant opponents was very annoyed that i left in daze on the draw, but the deck is like mono three drops so daze seemed great against them. Push the mana guy then waste + daze + hymn. It's a recipe that got results.

with counter balance out of the meta abrupt decay is much less exciting and maybe there should be more pushes main and fewer decays. Also maybe we should just put some dead weights SB so our goyfs can be bigger than gurmag angler. The deck perfomed very well offering an opportunity to leverage playskill while delivering free wins thanks to stupid cards like wasteland, hymn to tourach, and true-name nemesis. I wasfortunate to get into a bracket of all other fair decks after tecking my deck out to beat them, but i feel the combo matchups are positive as well.

Don;t play the deck if there are a lot of marit lage's or blood moons running around. Otherwise it's great!
oinksterthepig

Re: Bugging out @ GP Vegas (25th place)

Postby craniumslows » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:46 pm

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading it. What would your strategy be against Dark Depths combo or blood moon? Is it scoop town if a blood moon is active? I don't know what the out would be in that situation, and would be interested to read what others think the best play would be in this deck.

Also big congrats on a strong finish!
craniumslows

Return to Legacy