Eternal Struggle #11 - Top 4 Decklists + photos

Share and discuss Vintage (Type I) decks, strategies, etc.

Eternal Struggle #11 - Top 4 Decklists + photos

Postby eldashgato » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:39 pm

We had 16 players turn out for Eternal Struggle #11 at Wonko's on August 9, 2015. Fewer players than we hoped for, but it was still a great crowd and we saw some very interesting brews. The Eternal Struggle Planning Cabal once again thanks Alex Tune for running the event and the Dow family for hosting us. A lot of our regular players couldn't make it out to this one because of Game Day and other commitments, so we hope to see some of you at ES#12.

The field at a glance included:

1 Dark Times
2 Grixis Control
1 Grixis Wizards
1 Monowhite Opalescence Stax
1 Oath of Druids
1 Omni-Oath
1 Meandeck Tendrils
1 White Trash (Monowhite Hatebears)
1 Workshops
1 BUG Control
1 Dredge
1 UW Mentor
1 Bluebonic Plague (Blazing Shoal Infect)
1 Goblins
1 Elves

es11top4.jpg
Eternal Struggle #11 top 4, from left to right: Matt Tedrow, Jason Fraley, Frank Sturgis, Alex Tune.
es11top4.jpg (61.84 KiB) Viewed 5707 times

es11matt.jpg
As it happens, I took first place in this event with GB Dark Times.
es11matt.jpg (54.96 KiB) Viewed 5707 times

Dark Times *1st Place*
Matt Tedrow

Creatures (13)

[deck]4 Dark Confidant
4 Deathrite Shaman
1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
4 Vampire Hexmage[/deck]

Spells (26)

[deck]4 Abrupt Decay
1 Black Lotus
2 Crop Rotation
1 Demonic Tutor
3 Hymn to Tourach
1 Imperial Seal
2 Liliana of the Veil
1 Maelstrom Pulse
4 Mental Misstep
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Necropotence
3 Thoughtseize
1 Vampiric Tutor[/deck]

Lands (21)

[deck]2 Bayou
4 Bloodstained Mire
1 Cavern of Souls
2 Dark Depths
1 Karakas
1 Strip Mine
1 Swamp
2 Thespian's Stage
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Volrath's Stronghold
4 Wasteland[/deck]

Sideboard

[deck]1 Bojuka Bog
2 Chains of Mephistopheles
2 Golgari Charm
2 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Illness in the Ranks
1 Maze of Ith
1 Nature's Claim
1 Null Rod
1 Sadistic Sacrament
1 Snuff Out
1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
1 Toxic Deluge[/deck]

Grixis Wizards *2nd Place*
Jason Fraley

Creatures (12)

[deck]1 Izzet Staticaster
2 Jace, Vyrn's Prodigy
2 Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge
1 Master of Waves
3 Snapcaster Mage
2 Vendilion Clique
1 Venser, Shaper Savant[/deck]

Spells (28)

[deck]1 Ancestral Recall
1 Black Lotus
1 Brainstorm
1 Dack Fayden
1 Dig Through Time
3 Force of Will
1 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Kologhan's Command
4 Leyline of Anticipation
3 Lightning Bolt
1 Liliana of the Veil
2 Mental Misstep
1 Misdirection
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Ponder
1 Preordain
1 Time Walk
1 Treasure Cruise[/deck]

Lands (20)

[deck]2 Bloodstained Mire
2 Cavern of Souls
1 Island
1 Mana Confluence
1 Mountain
2 Polluted Delta
3 Scalding Tarn
1 Strip Mine
3 Underground Sea
4 Volcanic Island[/deck]

Sideboard

[deck]1 Ingot Chewer
2 Karakas
1 Notion Thief
3 Pithing Needle
2 Pulverize
2 Sudden Shock
1 Toxic Deluge
3 Yixlid Jailer[/deck]

White Trash *3rd Place*
Alex Tune

Creatures (27)

[deck]3 Aegis of the Gods
3 Kataki, War's Wage
4 Leonin Arbiter
4 Leonin Relic-Warder
3 Phyrexian Revoker
2 Spirit of the Labyrinth
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Vryn Wingmare[/deck]

Spells (11)

[deck]1 Black Lotus
3 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Mox Pearl
3 Path to Exile
3 Stony Silence[/deck]

Lands (22)

[deck]2 Cavern of Souls
4 Ghost Quarter
1 Karakas
10 Plains
1 Strip Mine
4 Wasteland[/deck]

Sideboard

[deck]1 Abolish
1 Devout Witness
2 Ethersworn Canonist
2 Oblivion Ring
1 Path to Exile
1 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Porcelain Legionnaire
3 Ravenous Trap
2 Serenity
1 Swords to Plowshares[/deck]

BUG Control *4th Place*
Frank Sturgis

Creatures (14)

[deck]4 Dark Confidant
4 Deathrite Shaman
2 Snapcaster Mage
1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
2 Trygon Predator
1 Vendilion Clique[/deck]

Spells (28)

[deck]4 Abrupt Decay
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Black Lotus
1 Brainstorm
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Dismember
1 Flusterstorm
4 Force of Will
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
3 Mental Misstep
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Null Rod
1 Ponder
1 Preordain
2 Spell Pierce
1 Time Walk
1 Vampiric Tutor[/deck]

Lands (18)

[deck]1 Bayou
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Flooded Strand
1 Misty Rainforest
4 Polluted Delta
1 Strip Mine
2 Tropical Island
3 Underground Sea
4 Wasteland[/deck]

Sideboard

[deck]1 Dismember
1 Energy Flux
1 Flusterstorm
1 Golgari Charm
3 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Illness in the Ranks
2 Nature's Claim
1 Null Rod
1 Steel Sabotage
2 Yixlid Jailer[/deck]
eldashgato
Site Admin

Re: Eternal Struggle #11 - Top 4 Decklists + photos

Postby americanomuerto » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:44 am

First and foremost, thanks for putting this tournament together Frank. I know its a huge pain in the ass, but it does become sort of a guys get together, and as we discussed, we all really needed to get away from our ladies this last Sunday.

So people may be wondering how I landed on this deck (Grixis Wizards), where it came from, and why some of the choices.

As many of you know, I haven't been around magic in a long time. I have a D&T deck at home that is collecting dust (and value apparently) and sold pretty much every card in my collection. I have been working a second job in an effort to pay off student loans, and I just don't have the time to dedicate to playing magic. As a result, my magic has been limited to playing EDH with coworkers during my hour lunch, and more recently, a Sunday morning EDH get together with friends.

My Sunday get together required me to get an actual (read: not proxied) EDH together. Since I didn't want to spend more money on cards, I just cracked open my Mind Seize preconstructed EDH deck and have been playing that with Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge, as my commander. And man, do I love that card.

So one day I email Frank and tell him that I am thinking about playing in ES11, but I just want to have fun. Winning is an afterthought. I presented him with two deck ideas: Grixis Wizards, with the aforementioned Jeleva as the centerpiece, and UW Wizards, which was closer to a hatebear list. Now mind you, at this point I thought I had stumbled on some novel idea that Leyline of Sanctity stops Oath of Druids, but apparently everyone knew that and I was just late to the party.

Frank came back rather quickly with, "If having fun is your goal, then you should play Grixis Wizards." And so I started putting together the list.

When I imagined both decks, I had maindecked Leylines in mind. In the past, I ran a Bant Hatebears deck that relied on Aether Vial. After one tournament, I realized just how much hate is out there for that card, so I wanted a non-artifact utility permanent. Leyline of Anticipation was my way of getting around Hatebear's land destruction, and MUD's Tangle Wires and turn one Chalice of the Void = 0. In addition, Leyline seemed like a great way for me to be able to neutralize Liliana of the Veil. All in all, the card just made it harder for my opponents to attack, and plan their next play. Playing Ponder, Preordain, and Treasure Cruise at instant speed is one of the most fun things I did all weekend. Hell, in the finals against Tedrow, in response to a Liliana +1, I played Dig Through Time, found a Black Lotus and a Jace, Vryn's Prodigy, then played them both out, and only Tedrow had to discard. New turn I looted with Jace, flipped him, and recasted something out of my graveyard (I think bolt). And this was all thanks to my Leyline. Leyline was rarely a bad card, it was able to be easily pitched to Force of Will or Misdirection, or looted with Jace. Leyline is a card I will continue to play around with in future blue decks.

My thought on playing Jeleva was that the format has so many sweet spells. I don't want just one Ancestral Recall, I want two. I want to kill someone's Liliana with their own Abrupt Decay. Or, in the instance of my game against the guy who played Dredge (sorry I didn't catch your name), I want to cast your Dread Return on my creature. Jeleva was at times, a bust, and at other times a great blocker. The format is wrought with 2/1s, and I was able to eat them all day. I played against three decks that main decked Karakas, so that was a huge beating, but at the same time, I was taking out main combo pieces by recasting her. For example, I should've lost game two to Joel. He had two Rest in Peaces out. I cast Jeleva and the very first card he flips was Helm of Obedience :shock: Wow! That was WAY close.

The other incidental rock star was Master of Waves. There is only one spell that takes that guy out that is maindecked in color decks (I am excluding Mud with it's Duplicants and Staff of Nins), and that is Path/Swords. In the finals against Tedrow, he was the card I was desperately digging for. When I cast Master of Waves, he is usually at devotion = 4, which is a huge swing in momentum.

Jace, Vryn's Prodigy is good. At times, I wish the flip was optional. Digging is at times, more of a pressing need, but if I have a recall in the yard and he flips, I am happy as a clam.

I am glad I switched to Kolaghan's Command over Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver. The card is very flexible, and helped go from behind, to ahead/equal footing many times throughout the day.

Here is my mini-tournament report. I don't have the best memory, so bear with me.

Match 1: Frank on BUG Fish
I win game 1 thanks to him being very gracious and allowing me to take back a few plays. Game two he murders me. Game 3 he plays two Bob's which murder him (he hit a Tasigir on the first flip, ouch!)

Match 2: Joel on Enchantment Stax
I win game 1 through an Armageddon. I keep counteringEnlightened Tutors. Play a Master of Waves on 3 to put him on a two turn clock. Game 2, he gets his stax on, Jeleva saves me from a death from Helm. His global enchantment turns my Leyline into a creature, and I ultimate Dack Fayden. He tells me at the end that the turn two Clique to bury his Heliod was a big part of my win, I have to agree because I don't think I could've beat that card.

Match 3: Alex on White Trash
By far, this is my favorite matchup of the day and I would play this matchup casually outside of ES. I will summarize both matches in this one since they both kinda go the same way.
Match one he plays Thalia, then a Spirit of the Labyrinth. He is stuck on one land. He attacks with both. I flash in Izzet Staticaster, block Thalia and shoot Spirit. The rest of his draw is too susceptible to Staticaster so we move to game two.

Game two can be defined by him siding in all the 2/2s he has and me getting Wastelanded/Ghost Quartered to death. This also happens in our top four match, except more hilariously, as he is able to finally remove my Pithing Needle set on his 3 Wasteland draw, and mauls my mana base in one fell swoop.

Game 3, I wish these were recorded. Alex echoed that as well. These were intense, tight games. I think each of us won our game 3s in single digit life totals, with me at 1 life in the top four match.

Match 4: Stranger on Dredge
Game 1 is your stereotypical "I am playing dredge and you are watching me play dredge" kind of game. I got one turn.

Game 2 is weird because I drew five of my six sideboard cards. It turns out that Yixlid Jailer has weird interactions with Bridge from Below. I had to let him hit me a bunch, because I couldn't afford to go to one Jailer. It took me a long time to find other creatures.

Game 3 he gets color mana screwed. I flip his Dread Return off my Jeleva to return something sweet.

Top Four Enter 3-1 and third seed

Match 1 vs Alex - I get my revenge.

Finals - Tedrow on Black is Back (Dark Depths/Poxless Pox)
Game 1 - fun fact - double wasteland into double Hymn is impossible to beat. Funny thing was I felt good about the hand because it had a Venser in it to bound the Merit Lage token, that would eventually kill me.

Game 2 - So this buttface maindecked a Karaks in a black green deck. That card pretty much made it to where I couldn't get ahead. I stayed in this one for a while, but Volrath's stronghold and a recurringDeathrite Shaman spelled the doom of me.
americanomuerto

Postby oinksterthepig » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:30 am

i commend you on such a sweet brew ser.
oinksterthepig

Postby eldashgato » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:17 pm

Poxless Pox? This description makes me sad. If anything, it's the Golgari Shamans to your Grixis Wizards.

Actually, though, the first Vintage deck I built when I began playing the format was Dark Times, and I've been playing variants of it over the past couple years with important updates as new sets have released (cutting maindeck Leyline of the Void for Deathrite Shaman, etc.). It's not the greatest deck, but I know it well and obviously pilot it better than most people do.
eldashgato
Site Admin

Postby americanomuerto » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:27 pm

oinksterthepig wrote:i commend you on such a sweet brew ser.

Thank you.
americanomuerto

Postby americanomuerto » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:29 pm

eldashgato wrote:Poxless Pox? This description makes me sad. If anything, it's the Golgari Shamans to your Grixis Wizards.

Actually, though, the first Vintage deck I built when I began playing the format was Dark Times, and I've been playing variants of it over the past couple years with important updates as new sets have released (cutting maindeck Leyline of the Void for Deathrite Shaman, etc.). It's not the greatest deck, but I know it well and obviously pilot it better than most people do.

My bad. I remember you running a deck similar to this at the first ES, but you called it something different. Everytime I see Hexmage and Dark Depths, I just assume its that deck.
americanomuerto

Postby aberosh1819 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:06 pm

Wow, sweet brew is sweet. Think that the first time I played Tedrow, it was a Dark Depths mirror in Legacy. Naturally, he won. Glad it's still a thing which happens!
aberosh1819

Postby eldashgato » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:22 pm

americanomuerto wrote:My bad. I remember you running a deck similar to this at the first ES, but you called it something different. Everytime I see Hexmage and Dark Depths, I just assume its that deck.

The deck actually falls into an archetype called Dark Times (neither my name nor my idea, even though I like both):

http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=40947.0

The folks who pioneered this deck built their versions to be monoblack, but I started out with a GB build to splash Crop Rotation. Later they printed Deathrite Shaman and Abrupt Decay, which are too good not to play in a deck like this.

The Pox deck you're thinking of is Loam Pox - it runs very few creatures, a Life from the Loam package, and is way, way more durdlier than this one.
eldashgato
Site Admin

Return to Vintage