eternal struggle 10 report

Share and discuss Vintage (Type I) decks, strategies, etc.

eternal struggle 10 report

Postby oinksterthepig » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:18 am

How to train your dragon, or tiebreakers are a harsh mistress

dragon2.jpg
dragon2.jpg (100.47 KiB) Viewed 2671 times

So with eternal struggle number 10 on the horizon this following conversation may or may yes have happened one morning with chris poff

Hamlet: it may be time for some dragonlord silumgar in vintage. . .

Poff: What? Did you hit your head? How is he good in any matchup? Tasigur is passable maybe. What deck?
Hamlet: uh i just wanna steal stuff?
is that wrong?

Poff: lmao! I'm thinking of running threads in the board. It steals things quickly
Hamlet: besides silumgar EATS tasigur! it is known

Poff: Did you wake up on the funny side of the bed?
Hamlet: no no look at the dragon olrdsilumgar art. he's got a tasigur head on his necklace
munch

Poff: I call! It's now mandatory you put him in the 60!
Hamlet: Well maybe the 75. Oath players won't know what hit them

Poff: Wow you have the tech for the non existent meta :D
Chat Conversation End
Sent from Messenger
Challenge accepted!

Creatures (4)

[deck]1 Goblin Welder
1 Inkwell Leviathan
1 Monastery Mentor
1 Notion Thief[/deck]

Spells (45)

[deck]1 Balance
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Black Lotus
1 Brainstorm
1 Dack Fayden
1 Demonic Tutor
2 Flusterstorm
4 Force of Will
2 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mana Vault
1 Memory Jar
1 Mind's Desire
1 Misdirection
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
3 Mox Opal
1 Preordain
1 Ral Zarek
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Sol Ring
1 Timetwister
1 Time Vault
1 Time Walk
1 Tinker
1 Transmute Artifact
1 Treasure Cruise
1 Vampiric Tutor
2 Voltaic Key
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Windfall
1 Yawgmoth's Will[/deck]

Lands (11)

[deck]4 Mana Confluence
2 Polluted Delta
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Tropical Island
1 Tundra
1 Underground Sea
1 Volcanic Island[/deck]

SIdeboard

[deck]2 Ancient Grudge
1 Red Elemental Blast
2 Defense Grid
1 Pyroblast
1 Notion Thief
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Monastery Mentor
2 Nature's Claim
2 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Sower of Temptation
1 Dragonlord Silumgar[/deck]

I didn’t have time to brew to much (beyond adding standard cards obviously) so I just ran it back on my bacon city vault madness. The maindeck mystical tutor got cut, I always sided it out. I cut duress, and illness in the ranks from the side board for red blasts sweet dragons and notion thief. I added a balance and a thief to the main. Balance has synergy with my plan of dropping bunch of fast mana rocks. Drop your hand then mindtwist them/wrath any obnoxious hatebears/artifact creatures. The thief + plus a draw seven was an insane dream that one day will come true. I ended up cutting the second jace which I kinda regretted since jace always comes through ten times out of ten.
21 people = 5 rounds of swiss cut to top 8

Round 1
Emerson on blazing shoal infect
This has got to be my worst matchup (besides being on the draw versus shops which is everyone worst matchup). Casting draw sevens into a deck who kills with pitch spells is the stone worst, and I lose the die roll.

Game one
Him: inkmoth nexus pass.
Me: Drop a bunch of mana rocks and wheel.
Him: you’re dead! (activate inkmoth blazing shoal pitch blasphemous act)

Game two
I win the die roll and he mulls to 4. Amusingly I help him out by casting wheel of fortune anyways. Once again he goes all in with inkmoth blazing shoal into my on board trick of active welder?? Uh weld out inkmoth give you back black lotus? On my turn I yawg will rebuying voltaic key and time walk and in my time walk turn I transmute artifact for vault.

Game three
Him: inkmoth, mox, blighted agent.
Me: land, mox, mox, sol ring, brainstorm, mox, time twister. Then play petal and brainstorm again.
Him: you’re double dead! (activate inkmoth and attack with blighted agent and inky. Blazing shoal + blasphemous act on both) my draw 7 + brainstorm only found a nature’s claim to interact. GG
This loss knocks me out of the tournament

Round 2
Frank on planeswalker super friends + stasis
I win the die roll.

Game One
I open with land voltaic key, mox.
He goes tolarian academy mox, mox. At his EOT I vampiric tutor for a force to back up my time twister. He has drain + force to beat me then drops a planewalker as a follow up. Another turn two loss!

Game Two
My opener is a little slow, but powerful. My turn two defense grid is forced while frank has turn one jace into turn two ral zarek bolting me.
I can play out the mana rocks I’ve been hoarding to drop Silumgar or memory jar but I’m so far behind I feel I need to do more so I drop mana crypt, mox jet, black lotus and desire for four. Revealing A land (I needed that), hurkyl’s recall, preordain, and tinker. Not the best, but not the worst. I preordain into nothing too exciting and end up tinkering for a mana vault because I have just enough mana to cast silumgar. I excitedly call over Chris Poff to witness my moment of triumph as I steal ral zarek and use his minus 2 to lightning bolt Jace.
Frank does nothing too exciting on his turn and I bash him with silumgar (the damage from his own crypt is also getting him) and play the memory jar into his mana drain. He plays a stasis to SLOW THINGS DOWN. I feel good here. I have at least 6 more life at this point and we both have mana crypt in play. Eventually he runs out of ways to pay for stasis I bash him to 3 with the dragon and he loses a flip immediately after.

Game Three
We play some draw go and I resolve a turn 3 or four memory jar. All frank has done is play voltaic key as far as I can remember. On my upkeep I crack the jar. I play a defense grid which frank responds to by sudden shocking me. Then I play out a monastery mentor + a zillion spells including time walk and dak fayden to steal his key. On my time walk turn I realize I can only hit for 19 so I +1 dak fayden and find a ral zarek to be able to bolt frank for lethal.

Round 3
Alex with dredge
Alex and I have a lively conversation about how “fair” he thinks dredge is and what we have done with our economics degrees from UT he’s actually gone somewhere with it so I am glad to hear it paid off for someone.
I win the die roll

Game One
Me: turn one land, sol ring, mox, time vault pass.
Him: bazaar, activate pitching three non dredge cards. That’s a problem because. . .
Me: respond to his second bazaar activation with notion thief!!!!! He’s kind of locked out, but dies quickly as I find a key in short order.

Game Two
He uses serum powder and I mull to 6.
My mull has mox opal, ancestral recall, and nihil spellbomb. WITH NO OTHER MANA. Whatever it’s better thana random 5. I never draw that other land and die.

Game Three
I’m on the play with land, lotus go.
He plays turn one unmask and I respond with flashing out a notion thief. He takes my spellbomb leaving me with balance, force, vampiric tutor.
I start the beats with notion thief and on his turn two he just therapies my force away. Then he therapies himself to pitch two stinkweed imps. So on his EOT I vamp tutor for another spellbomb and blow up his graveyard. At two life he finally gets a blocker in play so I flash the requisite mana + jace to bounce the guy out of the way and the little thief that could swings in for lethal.

Round 4
Chris Poff on draw all the cards.dec
I think I win the die roll.

Game One
Mull to 6 have a hand with a turn one notion thief and not much else. Keep! He turn one duresses so I flash out the thief and he takes hurkyl’s recall leaving me with only a land in hand. The thief does serious work as apparently he had a bunch of draw card in hand and he just stumbles for several turns while I draw some interesting cards. Eventually he gets to four mana and plays a thief of his own.
That’s when I make my move. I hurkyl’s his artifacts back to hand then cast balance. He’s got 10 cards in hand to my 2. The card proves to be anything EXCEPT BALANCED. I follow up with an ancestral recall and that’s game.

Game Two
I keep a land heavy hand, but that’s fine I expect a kind of grindy game. It works out better than I imagined as he plays a turn one mystic remora so I just make a few lands drops until he can no longer support the remora. With the remora out of the way I play three moxes and a memory jar. He plays another remora and passes.
Well thanks to the jar remora is not as scary as it not normally would be. On my upkeep I crack the jar. Drop a mentor and play a zillion spells. I can demonic tutor for a vault to go with my key, but he’s got a 15 card hand at this point so I just tutor for mind’s desire and flip up some more nonsense. I decide to cast all the spells even though some of them are treasure cruise and recall into cards I’ll just have to discard in order to get as many mentor triggers as possible. I end the turn with 12 monk tokens we discard our hands and pass. He doesn’t have a wrath so the following turn I play a spell trigger all my guys and swing for 27.

Round 5
My breaks are the worst thank to a round one loss to an opponent who appears to have gone 0 – 3 after defeating me. Get paired down and have to play.
Alex on grixis dak fayden control
I win the die roll

Game One
I jam a turn two jace, but it is forced. That would be fine, but then he follows up with ancestral recall. That’s how I lose. He then draws all the cards, counters all the spells, and uses dack to steal all the things. Not close game is not close.

Game Two
I mull to 5 and him to 6. I have recall to catch back up. I use ancient grudge to blow up two of his moxes to prevent any tinker shenanigans. On turn 4 (slow game!) I cast yawg will to rebuy a fetch land and recast ancestral. The recall is red blasted, but I kind of expected that one. Then he digs through time and passes. I have an interesting choice. Should I lead with wheel of fortune or spend a turn trying to get ahead on board with the ral zarek and voltaic key. I decided playing out the two permanents is more powerful so I can more likely wheel into the the win as opposed to wheel and pass. Well of course they are countered by mental misstep and red blast.
The following turn I wheel and force him to discard Jace and time vault!!!! Big game! He casts preordain black lotus, yawgwill. For once i have something to fight with and flusterstorm to prevent me from losing on the spot. Looking pretty smart for blowing up those moxes all those turns ago. I play out a mentor and he plays his last big trump tinker for blightsteel. This is a little annoying since I had done all this work to blow up artifacts to keep him off of tinker, and all his other win cons were in the grave as was his yawg will.
The game is quite interesting at this point as I play a dack and steal his blightsteel then attack with mentor. He plays his own dack and steal right back. I plus my dak and draw a notion thief so that could be exciting. I block his colossus with with two tokens and take 9 infect. He plays a notion thief and targets me with dak’s + 1. I flash out my own thief and loot into an out. DRAGONLORD SILUMGAR!
I play silumgar steal his dak and use it to steal the blight steel and crack with some tokens. Sadly he fires back with dak number 3 of the game and steal colossus again. I have a key in play and a mentor and a 3 power flier. I’m drawing pretty live to kill him this turn or if I just draw a cantrip into another spell I can block enough to not die. Or I just draw mox emerald. SO CLOSE!!!!!
I end up 3 – 2 with the worst breaks and get 11th. The deck performed very well and all the changes I made ended up being for the best (with the exception of cutting the second jace).
And as for dragonlord silumgar he was. . .

banana dragon.jpg
banana dragon.jpg (23.56 KiB) Viewed 2671 times
Last edited by eldashgato on Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added deck tags.
oinksterthepig

Return to Vintage