Needed: New ATXMTG.net calendar

Site updates and announcements.

Needed: New ATXMTG.net calendar

Postby eldashgato » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:51 pm

ATXMTG.net's most popular feature is the community calendar (http://calendar.atxmtg.net/), which I created two years ago and have done my best to maintain ever since. The calendar is a labor of love, but as it grows, it becomes hard to update and it can be huge drag to keep tabs on things. It would be nice if the ATX Magic community had something that looked cleaner, was a little easier to maintain, and had a bit more functionality.

To that end, I'm putting out some feelers to see if anyone in the ATX Magic community would be willing to develop or help develop a better, cleaner calendar. There's no money involved with this: It'd be for the benefit of the community. However, it's something the community badly needs, and if the source code were released it's likely that Magic communities in other major cities could benefit from it.

The calendar would need an admin backend and database. Ideally it would filter tourney info (e.g., with radio buttons) according to the following:

- Format (Draft, Sealed, Standard, Modern, etc.; need to be able to add/remove formats over time.)
- Day of the week (Sunday through Saturday)
- Store (Need to be able to add/remove stores over time).

Thus, a person could select Standard + Monday to see all the available options for that day of the week. The default view would show the entire week, all formats, at a glance, just as the calendar currently does.

Each event needs the following:

- Format
- Day of the week
- Start time
- Entry fee
- other notes (proxy rules, etc.)

It would also be great if the calendar could incorporate special events, such as upcoming Grands Prix, big tourneys at stores like Pat's Games, and so on. Currently these are absent from the calendar.

It could incorporate other features, but this is the gist of it.

I would also be interested in hacking/repurposing a PHP script that already does something like this, if someone could refer me to one.
eldashgato
Site Admin

Re: Needed: New ATXMTG.net calendar

Postby eldashgato » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:31 pm

UPDATE: Wound up repurposing a Wordpress blog to revamp the calendar. It's still clunky to edit, but much cleaner overall. Still interested in working with anyone who wants to make this better.
eldashgato
Site Admin

Return to ATXMTG Official Announcements