Almost An ES10 Report, or, How I Surprised Myself By Winning

Share and discuss Vintage (Type I) decks, strategies, etc.

Almost An ES10 Report, or, How I Surprised Myself By Winning

Postby anomie » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:48 am

I didn’t really take notes, because I honestly don’t really expect to take the whole thing down - so I’m just going to sort-of summarize up to the finals (which I remember better).

I won three Oath mirrors. I’m historically terrible in mirror matches, so I think that probably means that OmniOath is pretty well set up for the Oath mirror. When they’re S&Ting in a Griselbrand and you put in an oath and flip an Emrakul, or they’re showing in Griselbrand and you put in an omniscience with a couple of digs in hand, that seems pretty good. I sided out all four Oath in all three of those matches, if they keep Oath in you just try to keep up on tokens until you can get ahead, or go with a Show&Tell plan.

I both won (2-0) and lost (1-2) a match to Mentor decks. I should be fairly ok in that matchup, I usually keep oath in and bring some grudge/decay in case of cage. This deck is sometimes just clunky, though, and I kept a super reactive hand in game three of the match I lost. I didn’t draw anything that actually did anything, in that game, which I think maybe means I should have thrown that hand back.

I went 2-1 against Alex in top 4. Historically I think I was 1/X vs. Alex - with the 1 from a match where he played one of his fun decks in a Wonko’s legacy - so I’m not really expecting to win, but I’m sure going to try. He tinkered for Blightsteel to take game one. I don’t really remember exactly how I won game two - it did involve my putting in a Omniscience, with Alex putting in a Gilded Drake. In game three I ended up Gitaxian Probing him, seeing he couldn’t stop the S&T/Omniscience with force backup I had in hand. Free vamp tutor into ponder into flying pile of scary spaghetti-of-take-another-turn brought it home.

Finals match -

Game one:

I punted this away, for sure. This is not to say that I would have won this game if I hadn’t punted it away, but I definitely could have made better plays.

He resolved a Young Pyromancer, I resolved an Oath, I flipped a Griselbrand, and there was some ‘take some hits from his pile of small creatures’ in the meantime. My first mistake was not flipping an Emrakul guaranteed in the upkeep after I flipped Griselbrand - which resulted in an Emrakul in hand and not having another shot at that flip. I also tried to outright kill him by drawing cards (I needed to find an omniscience) when I could have just tried to ride Griselbrand lifelink to victory, but I ended up scooping out with not enough life to survive an attack. Being patient when I’m in a good spot, rather than trying to kill right now, is something I’ve been working on for a while. I’m better at it, just not better enough in this particular game.

This game at some point involved an Echoing Truth, and my exclamation of “Maindeck????!”. Seems like a sweet card to have main.

Game Two:

I get an Oath on board, he gets a Cage. I’ve got an abrupt decay in hand, and this time, I am patient. If he finds another cage, I’m going to be stuck waiting for an S&T and a draw card to show up for the Omniscience I have in hand, but if I blow the cage up now he’ll just not drop a creature - so I pass, and keep playing the lands/etc I’m drawing. He passes and keeps passing - until the turn where he drops a young pyromancer into play.

I EOT abrupt decay targeting the cage. He plays Echoing Truth targeting my Oath, putting a token into play. I pitch the Omniscience to play my last card in hand - Misdirection. It resolves, and I change Echoing Truth’s target to the Young Pyromancer. I flip Griselbrand, draw seven, down to 9, including a Force to stop the YP from coming back down, and that plus (based on my life pad) drawing another seven to get a mana crypt to S&T in an Emrakul got me there.

Game Three:

More mistakes were made.

I drew a hand with two S&T, a land, Elesh Norn, and a Boseiju - I don’t remember the other cards exactly.

By my turn three David has a flipped delver on board, and one or two cages. I untap, thinking I need another untapped mana, if not this turn, then soon. I draw a card and see a Mox Emerald staring back at me, play it, then pay two life for a Show & Tell that cannot be countered, putting Elesh Norn into play. I keep attacking and passing, he passes back, until I hit him down to one life.

He plays an Echoing Truth. I probably should have just let it resolve, and put her back in with the S&T I had in hand. Instead I tried to fight it, since I had essentially two counters in hand, pitching the S&T … and I lost the fight to a REB and a Force. See game one re. patience and trying to win right now. I did get to Dig, but for some reason I blanked on the two cages on board and put an abrupt decay and an Oath into my hand. Sometimes, I’m a terrible player. Sometimes, terrible players still get to pass the turn back & forth (I think I may have abrupt decayed a flipped delver in the meantime) for a bit until they find that third Show & Tell, while their opponent, who is quite obviously playing much tighter, keeps drawing cages and fetches they can’t crack due to life total - and that was that.

David gets a ton of credit in my mind for tight play. If there was a way to win it, given slightly different draws, etc, I’m sure he would have found it.
anomie

Re: Almost An ES10 Report, or, How I Surprised Myself By Win

Postby eldashgato » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:09 pm

Interesting stuff. Since you thrashed me with this deck twice in the same event, I might give Omni-Oath a whirl in either the the next trimester or top 4 (assuming I make it that far) of the league we're running currently.
eldashgato
Site Admin

Postby anomie » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:13 pm

If you could know ahead of time 'I'm going to run hot on this day' it'd be a perfect deck to play, because you could just pick it knowing you'd run hot. You do get these weird, awkward draws where you draw pretty much nothing but the 8+ mana spells and have to mull, or you get a hand that looks somewhat promising, with cantrips + some interaction, keep it, and just don't find anything you need.

I'm pretty sure LSV said something like "It's sweet but not good" ... and who am I to disagree with him? ;)

On the other hand, when you do rip what you need off the top, you can swing back pretty easily from some really bad spots. Which probably makes it an OK deck for me to play, as sometimes I play pretty OK, but I am also sometimes prone to face-palming misplays, and having that swinginess can cover for that.

Most of the time when I'm Oathing I'd rather see Griselbrand than Emrakul (with situational exceptions, of course) and if I were better at deckbuilding maybe I could figure out what to cut to put a second Griselbrand in there, so I'd have a 2/3 shot of flipping a Griselbrand. Or maybe that would just make the deck worse.
anomie

Postby eldashgato » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:22 pm

I've played a lot of Oath over the past two years, but I almost always gravitate to the BUG control package with Tendrils, Abrupt Decay, and JTMS. The few times I've played a combo version--notably Burning Oath--it didn't pan out well. I wonder if there's a way to cram a Yawgmoth's Bargain into Omni-Oath.
eldashgato
Site Admin

Postby MattH » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:29 pm

If you KNEW you were going to run hot, I can think of a better deck to choose :)
MattH

Return to Vintage