Mono-Red Control

Share and discuss Legacy decks, strategies, etc.

Re: Mono-Red Control

Postby aberosh1819 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:38 am

anyone else use MagicPrinter.net to proxy out decks? Tried to get this printed up last night for a test drive, and it was just giving my 500 errors. Might be that I overloaded it with awesome.

Also? MagicPrinter.net is worth looking at if you haven't seen it.
aberosh1819

Postby Doktor_Sleepless » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:51 pm

I've always used magiccards.info's proxy printing feature and it's been fine. In fairness, I just use basic lands for stuff I haven't got most of the time though.
Doktor_Sleepless

Postby MattH » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:44 pm

don't use basic lands, new players and stores need those! use bulk commons, there's an inexhaustible supply and no one wants them
MattH

Postby eldashgato » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:01 pm

We're getting off topic here, but I also prefer to proxy on bulk commons rather than basic lands. Not only do stores and new players need them, but when it comes to bulk, basic lands hold more value: 1,000 Mountains are actually worth more than 1,000 Grizzly Bears.
eldashgato
Site Admin

Postby aberosh1819 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:55 am

Played a few games of this against Elves last night at the kitchen table, and it turns out that a T2 Emrakul that wipes their board is a good thing.

Also a T2 Worldspine Wurm.

Sometimes Elves just gets there, and there's little to be done, and G1 you have a ton of dead weight (Defense Grid, Pyro, etc), but it's still quite reasonable.

If, somehow, you don't have ANY accelerators (Petal / Spirit Guide, etc), you're just going to die to them, but then again, it's Elves, that's to be expected since we have so little interaction in that one.
aberosh1819

Postby Doktor_Sleepless » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:44 pm

I'm curious about the Esper control matchup. Has anyone tested it yet?
Doktor_Sleepless

Postby Doktor_Sleepless » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:27 pm

Well, Khans spoilers are out, and I'm back to brewing with this again.

I know that Logan and Jesse up at Pat's had played with this a bit, and come to some interesting results. Tim Graham has also been playing Skred in Modern on occasion, but that's less relevant to the legacy discussion here.

With the printing of Chandra, Pyromaster and now Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker, this list really has some legs to it. Let's look at where I think a new list would want to find itself.

[deck]4 Blood Moon
4 Magus of the Moon
4 Chalice of the Void
3 Trinisphere
4 Seething Song
4 Simian Spirit Guide
3 Koth of the Hammer
3 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
2 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Magma Jet
4 Chrome Mox
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
7 Mountain[/deck]

Essentially, we want to look back to Dragon Stompy as our starting model. Sarkhan is at least as powerful as Rakdos Pit Dragon, because while he may not hit as hard, he certainly has more flexibility. His -3 ability of Flame Slash is very strong, and as long as a Chalice of Trinisphere is protecting him, he's virtually unkillable. If you can get him to ultimate, card availability should never be a problem again. Further backing up the card selection is Chandra, Pyromaster and Magma Jet. Chandra's +1 also plays nice with Koth and/or Sarkhan's +1s. Stormbreath is naturally proofed against StP as a back-up win condition, and his hastiness lets him punch out a Liliana or Jace if he's topdecked. Seething Song is a fun addition, allowing for a turn 1 or 2 Sarkhan, or Koth+Eidolon of the Great Revel/Magma Jet, depending on what lands/chrome mox/Simian spirit guide is in hand. Your game plan is simple: soft lock quickly with a Chalice/Trinisphere/Blood Moon, then drop a planeswalker or 2 to take over the game quickly, backing up the soft prison afterward with Eidolon/Magus/etc or burning out blockers/life points with Magma Jet or beat down.

Thoughts? I like Sarkhan as a top-end for a mono-red stompy deck like the days of yore, personally.
Doktor_Sleepless

Previous

Return to Legacy