SCG DFW Tourney Report - by Paul Gooch - 28th place

Share and discuss Legacy decks, strategies, etc.

SCG DFW Tourney Report - by Paul Gooch - 28th place

Postby eldashgato » Sun May 24, 2015 10:30 pm

This tourney report is by Paul Gooch, who posted it originally to the ATX Magic Players Facebook group. I'm reposting it here with Paul's permission, so that it won't get lost in the stream of posts that flood our Facebook group. Congrats to Paul for his strong showing with a pet deck. I strongly approve of the maindeck Dimir Charm.

====================

Here is my tournament report for the Legacy IQ at SCG Dallas:

My List:

Aluren

[deck]3 Deathrite Shaman
4 Imperial Recruiter
2 Cavern Harpy
4 Baleful Strix
1 Parasitic Strix
1 Man-o'-War
1 Shardless Agent
1 Birds of Paradise

3 Force of Will
4 Brainstorm
1 Intuition
2 Abrupt Decay
1 Dig Through Time
1 Dimir Charm

3 Gitaxian Probe
4 Cabal Therapy

4 Aluren

1 Badlands
1 Underground Sea
2 Tropical Island
1 Bayou
1 Island
1 Forest
1 Swamp
4 Polluted Delta
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Verdant Catacombs[/deck]

Sideboard
[deck]1 Abrupt Decay
1 Force of Will
2 Carpet of Flowers
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Duress
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Null Rod
1 Toxic Deluge
1 Minister of Pain
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Swan Song
1 Surgical Extraction
1 Vendilion Clique[/deck]

Round 1 vs Jason Jones on Miracles

Game 1, my deck's camouflage came in handy when he tapped out to cast a supreme verdict on turn 4. The following turn, I probed his hand to see no castable permission. I made my 4th land drop and went off.

SB: +Vendilion Clique, +Swan Song, +Reclamation Sage, +Abrupt Decay, +Force of Will, +Null Rod, + 1 Carpet of Flowers

-Birds of Paradise, -Shardless Agent, -1 Misty Rainforest, -1 Baleful Strix, -3 Gitaxian Probe

Game 2, I had a close to ideal opening 7 with a Decay + therapy x2 + Deathrite, Strix, etc...I went off on turn 3 with no trouble. I think he only resolved a top that game.
1-0

Round 2 vs Kenneth Smolinski on 12-Post

Game one we get into a mana-ramp race which i win and cast aluren blind. I am not too concerned because I don't think 12-Post typically has Force in the main. He casts repeal on my aluren in response to my recruiter and then scoops when i show him the second recruiter.

SB: +Swan, +Force of Will, +Rec Sage, +Null Rod, +Clique

-1 Misty, -1 B Strix, -Dimir Charm, -1 Harpy, -1 Probe

Game 2, on his turn 3 I have 2 land, a deathrite in play and a therapy in the yard. He resolves a pithing needle and names cavern harpy and passes. On my turn I play a land and tap the deathrite for mana before sacing it to therapy. I know he has repeal in hand and name that (figuring that if he brought in and drew force, i could very possibly strip his only other blue card. The repeal itself was irrelevant because he had no blue source in play) I hit 2 repeals and see no other permission. I cast aluren and recruiter and use rec sage in the chain to destroy the needle and win.
2-0

Round 3 vs Dustin Carriere on TES (the guy who ended up getting first)

Game one he wins very fast on his turn 3 after duressing my force.

SB: +Clique, +Surgical, +Duress, +Cage, +Null Rod, +Force

-2 Decay, -1 Harpy, -1 Misty, -1 B Strix, -Dig

Game 2, I win after 5 resolved therapies and some clique beatings

Game 3, I have to mull to 5 which is a real bummer. The game is surprisingly good. I, at one point, flashed in clique in response to his swinging xantid swarm trigger, took his burning wish and blocked. In the end I drew 3 lands in a row and he Ad Nauseumed at 14 life and got there easily.
2-1

Round 4 vs Brian Ku on Death and Taxes

This round was by far my worst, I got crushed.
Game one, I keep a 6 card hand with 2 lands in it. Unfortunately, his deck was working and i never drew another land.

SB: +Umezawa's Jitte, +Null Rod, +Decay, +Toxic Deluge, +Minister of Pain, +Rec Sage, +Clique

-1 Harpy, -1 Aluren, -3 Probe, -1 B Strix, -1 Intuition

Game 2, I mull to 5 looking for land and keep a hand with one. He gets the nuts again and i do basically nothing.
2-2

Round 5 vs Chad Bentley on BUG Delver

The details of this match are pretty hazy, I know I won in 2 games with lots of time to spare and he never really got anything going.
3-2

Round 6 vs Jody Keith on Naya Lands

Game 1 was mostly defined by my deathrites successfully stopping the loam engine and then he, on one turn, decided not to port me in favor of making a 20/20. I was able to get enough mana to cast aluren and won.

SB: +Surgical, +Scavenging Ooze, +Swan, +Rec Sage

-3 Probe, -1 Dimir Charm

Game 2, he opens with a turn one sphere of resistance and immediately begins locking me out with ports. I keep making land drops and he luckily does not have a waste. After several turns and upkeep brainstorms, I resolve a dig though time during my upkeep. The following turn he casts a Gaddock Teeg instead of porting me. I decay the Teeg and tap out to resolve an aluren and pass. (cant go off through the sphere while tapped) He draw gos. In response to ports I recruit chain into man-o'-war, harpy, rec sage and win.
4-2

Round 7 vs Tannon Grace on BUG Delver

Game 1 I feel that I was beaten in the early turns by an unavoidable stifle on my fetch even though the game went long, I never really recovered from it. It gave him enough time to stick a bob for more than a few turns.

SB: +Decay, +Deluge, +2 Carpet, +Jitte, Rec Sage, Scooze

-3 Probe, -1 Harpy, -2 Force, -1 Aluren

Game 2 I win on turn 3 after resolving 2 therapies.

Game 3 goes really long and things didn't quite line up for me. At one point I cascaded into jitte but the last card in his had was a pierce. I proceeded to draw runner 3 lands while he drew goyfs and I died.

Round 8 vs Alex Avance on Miracles

This was a really crazy round. We played 3 extremely tight games and there was a ton of interplay. I cast dimir charm in the third mode twice in this round to disrupt miracle cards on top of his deck.It eventually came down to extra turns when i was able to decay a counterbalance at EoT and go off on turn 5.
6-2

Finish at 28th place
eldashgato
Site Admin

Return to Legacy