Infect

Share and discuss Legacy decks, strategies, etc.

Infect

Postby Doktor_Sleepless » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:30 pm

Infect has been one of my favorite mechanics since it came out in SOM, but for some reason it doesn't get a lot of love in legacy. Maybe it's the overcosted creatures, I don't know and I don't care. Here's the list I'm currently running:

[deck]4 Glistener Elf
4 Blighted Agent
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Might of Old Krosa
4 Invigorate
4 Berserk
4 Brainstorm
4 Vines of Vastwood
2 Crop Rotation
1 Ponder
1 Simic Charm
2 Apostle's Blessing
3 Gitaxian Probe
4 Inkmoth Nexus
4 Tropical Island
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Forest
1 Island
1 Pendelhaven
1 Polluted Delta
3 Verdant Catacombs[/deck]

Sideboard:
[deck]4 Force of Will
3 Spell Pierce
2 Seal of Primordium
1 Krosan Grip
3 Stifle
2 Simic Charm[/deck]

The sideboard is a bit loose, and I'm not totally sold on having the FoW and Spell Pierces in the board. The idea is to just be faster than most decks, but that doesn't always pan out. Crop Rotation has been totally sweet so far. Anyway, thoughts?
Doktor_Sleepless

Re: Infect

Postby eldashgato » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:57 pm

No thoughts here. I'm trying to find a reason to argue over this list, but it looks pretty tuned. Have you tried Pact of Negation over any of these 75 cards?

EDIT: I take some of that back. Why Seal of Primordium? Shouldn't you just run Nature's Claim, because the deck is light on lands and life gain is irrelevant?
eldashgato
Site Admin

Postby Doktor_Sleepless » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:13 pm

So here's the updates:

Simic Charm has been ok in the main, but not standout. Twice it was dead in my hand, once it could have pulled out the game against Stoneblade (but his last 2 cards in hand were a blue card and his last FoW in the deck), once it did pull out the game (bounce his dude in response to Jitte's equip target, go off the following turn), and once it was pitched to FoW. Nothing too spetacular. I have yet to save Inkmoth from Wasteland with it. Probably will move to the SB, and stick in something. 2nd Ponder, maybe.

The problems the deck has are these: Umezawa's Jitte just wrecks it, and Abrupt Decay now forces us to either play everything a turn slower (you have to hold up mana for Apostle's Blessing/Vines of Vastwood, so it becomes just like playing around a Daze) or to rely on the Inkmoth Nexus win. Put another way: one of the 2 equipment in every Stoneblade deck makes the game incredibly difficult to win, and one of the main removal spells in BUG slows our clock down by at least a turn or makes us rely on a much slower back-up win-con. These are very real problems to have from two of the biggest decks to beat.

It's possible the answer lies in maindecking hate. Similar to the way 12Post plays 4 maindeck Pithing Needle to turn off Wasteland, this deck may not be viable (at least in the current meta) without some strange maindeck hate card like Null Rod. Additionally, it's possible that Vines of Vastwood isn't all it's cracked up to be. I frequently find that it's not being kicked, for simple math reasons: Vines+kicker+Berserk is 3 mana, while Might of Old Krosa+Berserk is 2. There's not a Stoneblade player alive that isn't going to go turn Thoughtseize or hold mana up for Brainstorm/Daze, turn 2 SFM, find Jitte. Realistically, this means our deck has to win on turn 3 or the game has ended. Most of the time, that means either Blighted Agent or Inkmoth Nexus, because Glistener Elf is getting blocked for sure, and trampling over for 8 infect does not win.

As for Seal of Primordium, it was on hand. And it doesn't hurt to stick one early if they don't have the early SFM.
Doktor_Sleepless

Postby eldashgato » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:53 pm

Regarding Abrupt Decay: It can't be countered, but it can be sent elsewhere. I've been totally blown out by Divert and Misdirection while playing cards like Decay and Hymn to Tourach.

For Wasteland, what about Teferi's Response? I'm not joking, either. Doomsday decks sometimes play this as a way to protect their Shelldock Isle from Wasteland.
eldashgato
Site Admin

Return to Legacy